Ringing in 2011, I was at Harrah’s Casino in Chester, Pa. with some family. We sat outside on the race track seats with many others awaiting the fireworks display. When they began, I was ready with my camera to take still photos as well as video of the show. You can see the result of what I captured here. It’s the first time I decided to mix stills and video for a YouTube upload, but I’ll probably go for video this time around wherever I’ll be as 2012 begins.
I’ll most likely be in the Philly area again to ring in the coming new year, a place with great viewing spots for fireworks. However, I also have a few other places around the globe where I’d like to celebrate New Years.
- New York City ~ I’d plan for a few nights’ stay around Times Square, hopefully getting a good view from a hotel room window to see the ball as it drops.
- Edinburgh ~ Up at the castle, of course! I love castles, so this is a must for my list.
- Sydney ~ With the spectacular setting of Sydney Harbor, who could resist?
- San Francisco / L. A. ~ These are a tie between the sight of fireworks with the Golden Gate Bridge as a backdrop and viewing them from Griffith Observatory (a favorite film location, I must add).
- Dublin ~ I would love to visit Ireland any time of year. It’s where most of my ancestors came from. I know of so many places in Ireland that I’d love to see, I’d need to ring in back-to-back new years to see it all. Now that would be awesome!
- London ~ From the city’s history to the London Eye, it would be great to welcome a new year among so many interesting sites, old and new, that I’ve been wanting to see! Just picture fireworks reflecting on the River Thames!
- Paris ~ I’m imagining the fireworks sparkling in the air against the backdrop of the Eiffel Tower, glittering to celebrate the festivities of the city. Picturesque!
So, I’ve definitely got my bucket list for where to ring in the new year throughout my life. For now, I’ve got my resolutions for 2012 all ready to go and hopefully I’ll be able to accomplish them. Of course, one of them focuses on travel. As far as that goes, I’m aiming for first-time travel to various states and maybe a short study abroad program. My other resolutions focus on health, career and educational goals.
Wherever you are as you ring in 2012, Happy New Year!